"1. existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought (opposed to objective )."
To place value on our feelings, even nagging feelings and unwanted thoughts, or to continue to look outside myself for answers by using the universal consciousness we have learned to seek from the media's impression?
Counsellors, for example, are supposed to value the subjective. Counselling is all to do with personal thoughts and reactions. Now, I find this contradictory to my perceived learned skill in modern society to always value the objective and to move away from personal reactions to thoughts to what would be more valued for the universal whole. Think of the news for example, we are constantly faced with the views of others in everyday life. Whether on the TV, the radio or in conversation with friends and acquaintances. We are constantly being told what to think, feel, say and do.
To value the subjective means relating to properties or specific conditions of the mind - as distinguished from general or universal experience. As we learn, grow and change through life, we first value the subjective as children. Then, as we get a little older, we begin to filter in the media's direction and learn to move away from this technique of evaluating thought, to an objective way of thinking as appropriated from a general, universal experience. What, I question, is the more healthy way of processing the wealth of information we are accustomed to receiving? In a society where I am generally faced with the desire to conform, which path do I follow? My own thoughts or societies general thoughts and opinions? I don't want to end up 45 with my core self being full of grandiose ideas conjured from my compromise on the objective. I want what we all ultimately aim for, to be 'well'.
So I face a decision on my values, being a trainee counsellor and a 12 step recovering addict, finding that at this point, each undertaking challenges the others code. The 12 steps focus on moving away from self-will and into a higher power's will for us. The counselling values having a connection to the inner self. To achieve both is ultimately my aim. My personal experience will play a big role in pursuing these goals; and I am grateful for the challenge.
Counsellors, for example, are supposed to value the subjective. Counselling is all to do with personal thoughts and reactions. Now, I find this contradictory to my perceived learned skill in modern society to always value the objective and to move away from personal reactions to thoughts to what would be more valued for the universal whole. Think of the news for example, we are constantly faced with the views of others in everyday life. Whether on the TV, the radio or in conversation with friends and acquaintances. We are constantly being told what to think, feel, say and do.
To value the subjective means relating to properties or specific conditions of the mind - as distinguished from general or universal experience. As we learn, grow and change through life, we first value the subjective as children. Then, as we get a little older, we begin to filter in the media's direction and learn to move away from this technique of evaluating thought, to an objective way of thinking as appropriated from a general, universal experience. What, I question, is the more healthy way of processing the wealth of information we are accustomed to receiving? In a society where I am generally faced with the desire to conform, which path do I follow? My own thoughts or societies general thoughts and opinions? I don't want to end up 45 with my core self being full of grandiose ideas conjured from my compromise on the objective. I want what we all ultimately aim for, to be 'well'.
So I face a decision on my values, being a trainee counsellor and a 12 step recovering addict, finding that at this point, each undertaking challenges the others code. The 12 steps focus on moving away from self-will and into a higher power's will for us. The counselling values having a connection to the inner self. To achieve both is ultimately my aim. My personal experience will play a big role in pursuing these goals; and I am grateful for the challenge.
No comments:
Post a Comment